House House fans, I have come to a conclusion.

EverybodyLies posted on Dec 06, 2008 at 10:06PM
SO.
While talking to kellinator on MSN, we came to the conclusion that not only do the writers want their /characters/ to be miserable, they want US to be miserable. This was our conversation:

snowboardgrl138@yahoo.com says:
LOL yea
it is their single purpose in life to make us miserable
Beth says:
Beth says:
when wilson was finally getting happy
Beth says:
his girlfriend dies
IK!!
Beth says:
and when cuddy was finally getting her child
Beth says:
the mom is a witch
way to stab us through the heart writers
well they did make us less miserable with the kiss though
Beth says:
BUT WITH ALL THE CRAP
Beth says:
THAT HUDDY HAS TO WADE THROUGH
Yea
Beth says:
-dies a little inside remembering the end scene of LTEC-
yea, I srsly did die a little inside when I saw the last scene, that episode was such an emotional rollercoaster
Its like they give us little glimmers of hope each ep, and then stomp on that hope
Beth says:
and take joy from it
Beth says:
(no pun intended)

What do you think about it?

THIS IS NOT A FORUM SPECIFICALLY ABOUT AMBER!
I understand if you like her and all but this is a forum about how the characters are miserable and the writer's tendencies to ruin their chances at happiness.
Keep it over messaging, please!
last edited on Dec 08, 2008 at 10:21PM

House 45 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
hơn một năm qua amberRocks said…
the writers sure hate me...
they did kill amber...
The show would be 10.000 times better if she was still there...
This season is low...
last edited hơn một năm qua
hơn một năm qua mimika_s said…
Chase is supposed to be happy
I am
Chase is on air for 2-3 minutes!
(and jesse is totally in pain doing scenes with jennifer...)
hơn một năm qua oldmovie said…
lol I definetly see your point, but often the most memorable moments in entertainment are sad not happy moments. Casablanca and Gone with the Wind anyone?

I do agree though, the writers do like to tear at our heart strings, here's to hoping that they will end the show on a happy note.
hơn một năm qua midnyte007 said…
You know, aR, I think you're right. This show would be better with Amber.
hơn một năm qua daisiesgo said…
I want Amber back every time I watch. I dont mind 13, but even with all her screentime she still comes off as nothing but a cardboard cutout to me. Its really regrettable, since I believe OW can be good actress. I blame the writing, but I'm also starting to feel she has been miscast in the role she was brought in to fulfill.

I think it is cheap ploy and bad writing to create sad or despairing storylines simply for the sake of it. Its like a cheap gut punch. It might pull at your heartstrings, but at what cost to believability or character development?? Also, if done in such a rapid fire fashion, over time it simply loses its impact and power (*how* many times has House almost died??) Thus calling for even -more- sensationalism to reach the same effect, in an downward spiral of amateurish one-upsmanship writing-wise, and the process begins all over again. In real life, people go through a panoply of emotions over time, happy, sad, and everything in between. I would like to see that reflected in these characters as well, that I love to watch on my television screen from week to week. Realistic portrayals of sadness and disappointment are to be expected as that is what happens in life. But balance is *key*. To constantly take every angle in one or more character's lives that has some positive potential, and twist and mash and subvert it until it all it becomes is yet another vehicle for loneliness or frustration or misery is a bad tactic in my opinion. Life is a spectrum of deep despair all the way through ecstatic happiness. Since when did House the show only have to be about melancholy or loss? Sure, these are key themes in life that we can all relate to at times, but that is not ALL there is to living! We have seen in earlier seasons that even House can experience pleasure and happiness, at least for a time. People are complex creatures, and I would like characters should reflect that. Who wants to watch a one-note Johnny all the time, whether he is happy or sad??? The show of House doesnt have to be a zero-sum game between sugary sweetness or bleak unhappiness. It can be everything in between, and the earlier seasons represented that skillfully.

Only my opinion, but starting in season 4 and going thru season 5 now, they are taking a more and more simplistic and juvenile approach to the personal events and emotional life of the characters involved. That may be fine for younger viewers, but as someone in the 30 plus category, it cheapens my experience of the show, drearily drags down the shows great potential, and makes it very diffcult for me to have the deep appreciation of it that I used to have.

If the writers choose to show a character going through a dark time, thats perfectly fine, if its presented well and for a logical reason. But if all they want to do these days is constantly shock us, the viewers, with how sensational or "dark" and "doom and gloom" that they can keep things (only teasing us with a possible positive outcome in order to completely blow it out of the water), then thats just poor writing and poor choices for the show and its actors. They can keep doing that over and over if thats their choice, but they risk alienating their fanbase. Unrelenting negativity for no other sake then because its "dramatic" and may *-temporarily-* boost ratings, may work for some, but not for me, and not for many other folks. And pretty soon a lot of people that have always loved the show and all things about it, will simply become too "miserable" for comfort and get fed up. It is completely true that the ratings have steadily been declining since season 3, and thats due an overlay of all different factors, this one included, I believe.
hơn một năm qua yaz said…
Not sure whether its season 1 or 2 on the DVD "extra or special feature's" section....but one of them DEFINATELY has David Shore and Hugh Laurie talking about the difference between a central character in a movie vs. a television show. Movies have conclusions and "happy endings". Gone With the Wind and Casablanca, as mentioned above, are "special" in that they really leave the viewer wondering "what happens next?" Thats usually a question reserved for a tv show that has another 3 years on their contracts. Ever notice how you can watch a soap opera for the first 10minutes on Monday and the last 10 on Friday and still be able to follow whats going on?
This doesnt answer your initial question "why is everything so miserable and sad?", but if you think about it, this character IS miserable and sad. The writer's cant change that, without changing HIM.....having said that, they could make us, the audience a little happier, by playing up moe of his "trickster-y" characteristics. I too have on several occaisions, thought to myself, "I dont know how much more of this sadness I can take.
(i think thats why i delved into the clinic patients recently. they brought some levity to how i felt about the show. and i noticed theyre almost NON EXSITANT in this and last season)
Hopefully SOMEONE affiliated with the show will tune into this site, and take it to heart:)
ps...Ditto on daisiesgo
I hope so also Yaz, about someone tuning in. They have the right to do what they wish with "their" show, but we as viewers have a choice not to watch. I dont want to stop doing so, cuz I'm a big diggity for the show, always have been, but I cant help needing really -good- writing and LOGICAL stuff to keep me hooked. I have a perhaps-annoying habit of (over)analysis in me and it just needs everything to make -sense-! even in TV land, in stories, why should things not be able to make some general sense as how we know humanity to be? And they do, they show that a lot at times, I'm just saying that IMHO, they need to do that a lot MORE. Just be more logical, more complete, on a personal level with the characters.
Balance is always key... I think poeple/viewers can take almost anything, as long as its logically done and leavened with some of its opposite or near-opposite trait in reasonable doses. i.e. we know House can be an ass, but we also know he can be a human being too. If he was only an ass, ALL of the time, well thats just not someting I would find compelling or interesting, and I probably wouldnt watch. its okay for people to act like that and some do, but I dont want to WATCH it... just my habit of TV consumption; I want rich and deep characters, just what gets my motor running you could say!

But i do hope the show's creators get around to boards like these. Sometimes its easy to get tunnel vision and forget the big picture, or certian things... like ways they used to handle the show... they cant please every fan all the time, but they can notice the main trends of discontent... and think about if perhaps they want to address those. Constructive feedback and/or criticism is what its all about in my opinion. Anything can always be better, right?
(ok..sorry for the long wind..again..ppl)
and..(i will shutup soon, i swear!) I do agree that it is the basis for the House character to be miserable and sad, in a vague, general, and background sense. Thats the phase of his life he's in right now and all his issues revolve around him not being able to rise above that (yet). Maybe he'll die that way, or maybe one day he will learn to overcome all that he allows to keep him stuck in that place, and become a happier person. (us crazy optimists hope so! heh)

*But* knowing that, that he may never allow himself to be a truly happy person (at least during the duration of the show), he *should* at least, be able to still feel moments of happiness, have pleasurable experiences, and act in ways that are mature, kind, considerate, professional, and compassionate. He can still me a miserable guy at heart (like when he gets into bed alone at night), BUT I need to see *both* sides of him, if I'm going to have an emotional interest in his character and his evolution.

If they are going to let him devolve into ONLY an angry, bitter, sour, caustic, and unpleasant 'grumpy old man' (not mention, sexually harassing, as of late), well that would be a real shame! and I really couldnt watch that for long.

They USED to portary him in the way I am suggesting. In season one, House takes Cameron to go see monster trucks, when Wilson declines. They were laughing and enjoying themselves! That was GREAT to see! What a nice change! and also, realistic I thought. Only the most depressed people never go out to have fun at least a couple times a year.
Also, there was a time where he walked into a bar on his way home, where the old team was hanging out, presumably to socialize with them (it was at the end of a really good ep, i forget the name now). And another scene, from the first season, they were all hanging out together in a booth, possibly at that same bar (it looked similar). And of course, the episode with the little cancer girl (second season I think), where she inspires him to goes out and buy his motorcycle, as a way to push the boundaries of his comfort zone and try to expand his world and ability to be happy.

Those were all awesome ways they showed "hey yeah House is still a troubled guy underneath, but he can come of himself a fair bit of the time and feel happiness or express concern for others." And thats brilliant to me. Its how I would like to see his character played out. Thats how they represented him in the beginning, and as he hasnt had any great personal losses since then (unless you count Stacy), I dont see why that should change. If anything, due to all his brushes with death, second chances, and VAST lengths all his friends have gone for him to save his butt more than once, I would think it would be more logical that he be the opposite! MORE warm and fuzzy these days versus less! he certainly has more to be happy about then he thinks!

Like I said, I dont think House has to become Mr. Rogers to be real, or entertaining, and I dont think anyone wants that. But they dont have to write him into a manic-depressive sob-case either. In fact, keeping him ONLY miserable is what *isnt* real to me. Thats kind of a cop-out in my opinion. Kind of going for that gut-punch drama again at the expense of other things. Its only one viewers opinion, but one probably others share. A *complete* character is what draws us in, and gives us an emotional investment in the show, and that person.

only MHO.
shutting up now.
hơn một năm qua pollyloveshouse said…
Duue, it's like 7AM, I can't be assed to read all that^^

But it is a very good point, they always give us hope and take it away, but they always do give us new hope, don't they? Wait, I'm not making sense... *goes back to her hole in the ground and dies*
daisiesgo I agree wholeheartidly. Tis is a BRILLIANT actor, able to handle a multidimensional character. I read once that every human being is like a "cut diamond". You get to see the hundreds of facets based on the proper lighting. If the writers arnt willing to shine a light from several different directions, not only do they cheat the viewer, they cheat the actor, Especially this guy (Hugh). He's so able. Did you notice how he mocked (in a good way)Peter Sellers in "Being There" It was the tiniest little line. "I like to watch" while following 13 to the exam (L13) He completely changed his gait, his voice...Brilliant. This guy can handle moment to moment genius, IF THEY WILL JUST WRITE IT FOR HIM. sigh...David Shore needs to do more than just tweak and sign off on these scripts.
hơn một năm qua babybell said…
okay im freaked out by all the clever new users to dsiagree with me!!
PLH it makes sense. To take away hope we have to have some in the first place.
I can only do the deepness once a week, talk to me on wednesday : )
wow i just read all of what you said daisiego. I don't think amber distracts or adds to the show in any way, but its well known i didn't really like her (*is STILL laughing at clips comment from June*).

However you ARE right. In seasons 1 and 2 it was happier. They were maturing in some small way, like House with the motor bike. Taking risks. Moving on. Where as now they seem stuck in a rut where they just seem to get more juvenile and more miserable. It really doesn't bug me so much (im one of those young watchers you talked about, ; )) , but i would like to see a bit of growing up, especially seeing as House has an optimum chance in the Huddy arc. Seriously, he could ask her out, break the pattern he has been in since Stacy left the second time and put himself out there, and maybe just maybe we can see the fun in the show return.
btw, mind i i call you some kind of nickname? when i reply to these answers of yours' typing daisielgo opens the chance. for me to spell it wrong so much more. And because im oh so slightly lazy.
Not liking amber should be illegal...
She is more awesome and fashinating than at least half the regulars that are now on the show...
She added a lot...
hmm... like what? she was funny certainly. But *slightly* bitchy...
To be honest I never much liked Amber, I think she was more of a plot device.
She was exiting and more than one-note!She was the only independent and strong woman!(like season 1 cuddy but blond).
She was the only woman that didn't have a crush on house!
yes plh, i agree. A plot device.
PLOT DEVICE???
Please don't say that I like you!
*is getting crazy!!!*
Well, take the fact you didn't like her out of the equation. You have a young doctor, falls in love with the main character's best friend and gets accidentally killed by the main character. Tension, drama... You see what I mean?
and also the House/Wilson line. And without her no bus crash which means no WH.
She is more great than half the regulars...Some people don't even deserve to be regulars....
And she is not a freaking plot device!!!
Well that's your opinion. I thought she was a good character, but only for a short time. I don't think she really had that much to add for the long run.
Oh spare me!13,taub,foreman had more to add than amber?Are you kidding me?
she was too awesome for words and had like a billion more possibilities that the others!
Again, your opinion, not fact.

Hmmm, I do actually think Foreman, Thirteen and Taub had more to offer. Thirteen definitely, obviously. Taub is actually hilarious, as we have found out this season, and I am enjoying seeing Foreman this season, and he is obviously a vital part of the Foreteen storyline. I just think we had seen all of Amber's tricks, she was manipulating, cunning, etc., but we already have House for that...
Don't agree at all!!!
But I won't talk more cause I'm getting upset and I really don't want to fight so bye!
And as you know words hurt!!!
Seriously Taub over amber?WTF?
Yeah! him buying cocaine! ROFL!
you hurt me.Bye.
How could I hurt you?! I was talking about a character, you didn't need to make it personal....
we didn't mean to hurt you. ITs not bad being a plot device.. its like imagine your life: in the scale of things, you are just a minor plot device. It doesn't matter who you affect or what you do in the world or how much you enjoy it or if you die strip naked in an oil tanker or surrounded by your loved ones in a hospital, in general, you are just a plot device in the great scheme of things.
my favourite character.You called her plot device.
And plt-devices aren't important.and you know how important amber was for me.
And a regular contract that the other have doesn't make her feel less important and a plot device for me than them...
So yes,you hurt me and bye...
AND SHE IS NOT A PLOT-DEVICE AND STOP SAYING THAT!
*cries*
OK aR, I just want to say I like you, ok, but I also feel like you are taking this too seriously. In all honesty she WAS a plot device, technically. They all are plot devices around House, so I don't see how that's an insult?
I loved her...
I can't really speak to you now...I thought we were friends.
Urgh, again, taking it so personally. Fine, I suppose that because I have a different opinion to yours I shan't be speaking with you, which is a shame. Let me know if you change your mind :)
I can't speak to you now because I'm mad at you.I'm going to speak to you again when I cool off...I'm not "breaking-up" with you...
okay just cool down then :)
hơn một năm qua EverybodyLies said…
Hey kiddos, caaaaaaaaaalm doooooown.
This is a spot of love! -forces rainbows and hearts down all of your throats-
hơn một năm qua HuddyCrazy1331 said…
Do rainbows and hearts taste like chocolate? xD
Anyways, I just decided to pop in here. But yeah, the writers seem like they try to make us miserable, but without giving us hope, they can't take it away as mentioned before. And I have hope. I still do. I don't think it's going away. :)
To Everybodylies: hey how you doing? Hope you get that musuc man cd, maybe at Oz?....
To amberRocks: eat that "calming cookie" and think about this....Maybe, just maybe, Amber was intended to be a much larger part of the whole scenerio, but because of that f*@# ing writers strike, her importance was not, shall we say, fully realized. Now take some deep breaths and eat some icecream.