Những nàng công chúa Disney Has anybody realized that fairy tales are kind of copies of mythology?

PrincessTiana posted on Dec 07, 2012 at 04:48AM
I was sitting done thinking about mythology & fairy tales cause I'm a nerd like that and I noticed that two fairy tales are similar to some Greek myths.

I was thinking of Rapunzel and how she was in a tower and tossed her hair out the window and I stopped and thought to myself "I heard this somewhere else before." Then it hit me. It's the myth with golden shower (not what you think it is.)

In Greek myth the king of Argos is worried about having a heir that would over throne him so he went to an oracle to asked his fate. He was told that his daughter, Danae, will have a son that will kill him and take his crown. Well of course the king didn't like that so he took Danae and locked her up in a tower.

He doesn't want to get blood on his hands so he is hoping she will just die from starvation or lack of air. He orders that no servant goes up to feed her. The only time they can go up to see her is to check to see if she is dead yet. The king waits patiently till he is given word. Time goes by and he finally goes sees himself.

When he opens the door of the tower he is bot just shock to fine Danae still alive but she is also now a mother. No man could climb the walls of the tower o get in to impregnate her. It wasn't a man, it was a god, Zeus.

Zeus is known in Greek myth for having sex with every woman, goddess, and Titian. he sees Danae and makes a move on her. Zeus comes into the tower through the window as a shower of gold and impregnates her.

Now the king is stuck with a living daughter that knows he is trying to kill her and a baby that is destine to kill him one day. The king orders his servants to take her out the tower and put her and the baby Perseus in a trunk and through it out to sea. Now he is hoping the storm will kill them both.

Do you guys notice what fairy tale this is similar to? Rapunzel! In the fairy tale Rapunzel is a woman that's trapped in a tower and whenever the witch wants to come see her she will throw her "golden" hair out the window. And we know the prince comes into the tower by climbing her "golden stair". Rapunzel and the prince have sex and she becomes pregnant. When the witch fines out she is pregnant she cuts off Rapunzel's hair and kicks her out the tower maybe hoping the world will end her.

Yeah so two stories about a woman trapped in a tower with gold pouring through a window and her getting pregnant.

There also is another fairy tale that is similar to another myth. The story of Persephone and Hades. Hades is the god of the underworld. Humans don't worship him as much because he death. In Greek myth there is no heaven or peace resting place. There is only one place underworld, hell. Hades is scary and intimidating but also a romantic.

One day he sees Persephone, the daughter of Demeter and Zeus, and his niece. he falls in love with her. One day when she is picking flowers the ground opens up and Hades' hand swipes her down into the darkness. no one is there to see. Persephone, the innocent goddess of vegetation, is now asked to be Hades' queen.

When Demeter fines out she is angry. she doesn't see Hades fit to marry her daughter and she doesn't like the idea of a flower goddess being in the dark forever. Flowers need sunlight. Demeter thinks Persephone should stay on earth.

Persephone eats seeds and leaves the underworld during the summer and spring and goes back to her husband during the winter and fall.

This is very much like Beauty and the Beast. Beast is a monster but he doesn't want to be a monster. He asks Beauty (or Belle) to marry him every night and she refuses. She leaves for a while though to be with her father but she must come back. She does and Beast is ill but she admits she does love him and he turns back into human. And this all started with picking a flower. Much like the myth.

Beast needs Beauty to love him and give him back his humanity. Hades was a god that tricked into ruling the undesirable gloomy underworld. He found happiness in Persephone, who is life. She makes the flowers grow and that contrast to the sadness and death that Hades has to be around all day.

So yeah, fairy tales totally go back to Greek mythology.

I was sitting done thinking about mythology & fairy tales cause I'm a nerd like that and I noticed th

Những nàng công chúa Disney 4 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
hơn một năm qua Jessikaroo said…
Did you know that the story of Cinderella dates all the way back to Egypt?
Why does everything have to be about Greek mythology D: Why is there no love for Egyptian mythology. *Cries* Interesting parallels though. I noticed the BatB one before. Didn't catch the Rapunzel on.
hơn một năm qua PrincessTiana said…
smirk
Jessikaroo Oh no I wasn't saying EVERY fairy tale goes to GREEK mythology but I noticed Rapunzel & Beauty & the Beast. There are so much other ancient lost religions fairy tales can go into like Indian, African, Latin American, so much. Sadly I haven't learned much about those myths to see similarities in fairy tales.

Yes, a matter of fact I just found out that there is a Egyptian Cinderella story that's older than European Cinderella. There also is a Chinese one too (I knew that much longer) that came before the European. This is also a version of Snow White called the Jupiter Tree that I think is from India or maybe it's still Grimm. Well anyway, instead of being a girl, it's a boy and it has the whole blood and wishing for a baby with the colors.

But this is why I don't believe people when they say fairy tales are mostly European so it's okay to make most film adaptions with an all white cast. Fairy tales are universal and you can find another country's version somewhere that may have bee written a thousand years earlier than the European version America is used to.
hơn một năm qua rosemina said…
smile
I know these myths and I can see the similarities between them and the fairy tales, but I think these in particular are coincidences..Especially Rapunzel's story...just my opinion!
hơn một năm qua Swanpride said…
There are similiarities between the Folclore and old Myths of a lot of different countries...you could also draw parallels to the bible. (Though some parallels you drew were quite far-fetched).
But in the western world (the main market of Disney) the European versions are better known, so it's logical to base the story on them and not on some obscure older version. And they are better known, because the Grimm brothers and other story collectors bothered to write them down, preserving the lore.
There is also a Grimm story named "The Ghost in the bottle"...but it's logical to chose Aladdin over it, because it is the better known one.