Learning Japanese Counting Morphemes

carolgreen481 posted on Sep 24, 2012 at 02:29AM
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for counting morphemes per word in Japanese, especially for someone who has very little experience in the language. I have read that 1 kanji = 1 morpheme, but is the kanji always 1 word, or do they have suffixes attached to them? I think the most challenging part for me is determining where each word starts and ends, as they do not make it obvious as Romanized languages do, with the spacing. I have been looking for information regarding the index of synthesis for Japanese, but no luck so far.
Thanks for any assistance

Learning Japanese 2 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
hơn một năm qua thatnerdyguy said…
smile
One kanji to one morpheme I think would work, but remember that it's not always a full word. Many words are kanji compounds, in which the individual kanji may hold meaning (making them a morpheme), but are not always a word by themselves.
I agree that the lack of spacing between words can make reading a challenge, but with the combination of kanji and kana, as well as with practice, it does get easier!

I'd also like to say that I'm glad there's someone else in this club who is seems to be serious about learning Japanese and knows a thing or two about languages :)
がんばって!
hơn một năm qua Calla12345 said…
wink
its not always a full word there are many kanji compounds with individual kanji may hold meaning, making it morpheme they are not always a word by themselves though. i'm happy to see someone helping 素晴らしい時間の学習を持っている!