fanpop General các câu hỏi

harold posted on Apr 24, 2008 at 06:37AM
This forum is for questions about how stuff works on Fanpop: how to use features, etc.

Looking through the forum in this spot, you can see that a lot of questions get asked over and over again, but since there are so many pages of forum threads, the answers can get lost. I propose this as a forum for users to ask questions about the site, which other users or even the staff can answer. Then users with a question can look at one thread in future, rather than having to repeat a thread or search through many many pages of forum threads.
last edited on Apr 24, 2008 at 06:42AM

fanpop 226 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 226

hơn một năm qua harold said…
So, here's a question: in what time zone does Fanpop operate? It wouldn't be an issue except in two respects: the log of when content was added rolls over at a certain time (going from "added x hours ago" to "added 1 day ago"), and picks with end dates end according to this time zone (I created a pick this evening, and it ended minutes after I'd created it, which suggests a central Atlantic Time Zone around Bermuda). What is the time zone, expressed as relative to GMT?
hơn một năm qua aholic said…
Well I don't know, but here you can see the time zones link
hơn một năm qua tessajanuary said…
I think it is in UCT/GMT, harold. I just posted a forum topic and it said that it was posted at the same time as the current UCT time, so it seems like that's correct. But I don't know how that fits into your pick ending when it did...
hơn một năm qua germany123 said…
ok- i have a question..are the images on shuffle!?
if someone adds new images to a spot and you want to view them you always have to go back to the overview if you click on "next" it gives you some random picture from say 8 months ago. Am I missing something?
hơn một năm qua ineedcoffee said…
you have to pick previous instead of next I noticed this as well germany its backwords...lol
oh..really!? ill give that a try. Thanks :)
yay..me again
ive been wondering how long an item one posts needs to show up in the updates feed of subscribers to a spot/ forum comments to the forum creator etc
i posted a link and then saw it wasnt working properly and took it down immediately, but i wondered if it was already in the updates for the spot. also when i post a comment somewhere and re-read it i sometimes notice how badly i phrased it ( hey im german it happens a lot!!!) and then change it..but wonder how much time i have if- theoretically- the user who started the forum/ made the pick is checking their updates every couple of seconds. this may not be important i just want to know cause im one nosy person :P
hơn một năm qua Snerkie said…
Things go to the "my updates" pretty much straight away, but also if you take down a link it will be removed from the "my updates" list straight away or if someone clicked it then it'll go to the Fanpop home page.
okay thanks snerkie i thought it would be fairly quick- so i better write my comments more carefully- dang firefox wont let you make the comment box bigger- its hard to read longer comments in this tiny box, thats why i post them to see the whole thing, thats a good thing about safari- if youre careful not to screw up the layoot ;)
hơn một năm qua amazondebs said…
okay i have one is it just me or do picks take longer to submit that other stuff because if you post a image or link it says posted 1 minute ago yet my picks normally say posted 10 minutes ago
hơn một năm qua viddiction said…
I just want to know if there are any specific features in this site which allows users to edit their video ?

link
amazondebs, the time i've figured out with picks is when you first started making it :) so when you first started typing (or maybe uploading an image) the time goes from that instead
At the moment, I don't believe there is any Fanpop feature for uploading your own videos, much less editing them. The site merely embeds videos hosted on other sites.
ok sorry this is a really basic question ( yes i tried searching- dont get me started...) but what exactly- aside from image uploading/ more images at a time- can i do differently on a spot if i have
a)a green
b)a yellow
c)a red medal?
I have a yellow one on the HIMYM spot which i am very proud of( because i love the show and my fellow HIMYM-obsessed fans) but aside from it being so beautiful and round and pleasing to the eye: is there anything i can do now that i couldnt do before?
hơn một năm qua PkmnTrainerJ said…
No, germany. Once you get the red medal you can manage the headlines and I think edit the spot banner, logo and description.
oh okay...thanks :)
hơn một năm qua Saul_Mikoliunas said…
I have a red medal for the How I Met Your Mother but I can't edit the spot banner, icon or description. Headlines? Hmm. Excuse me for a few minutes =)
My understanding is that you used to have different editing rights within a spot based on medals (I dimly remember something about this in an early version of the FAQ), but that seems to have changed as the site has developed. I don't believe that any rights change based on medals at the moment. To put it another way, medals are just medals and they do not confer any rights/abilities to edit a spot.

That said, I wouldn't know about the fanatic medal, as I don't have one.

Lastly, I don't think headlines are user-determined. They appear to be another widget that is populated by news items and press releases with keywords related to the spot topic.
thanks snerkie :D

i know this has been asked many times about medals and how you get them but i'm just curious how much we actually know about them so far i have gathered the more ratings you get the more it goes towards your 'medal points'
but what else goes towards the medal 'formula'

oh and temptasia told me that when you have a fanatic you can edit other content like to add keywords or credits and such
last edited hơn một năm qua
Having recently got my first fanatic medal, I can edit the keywords and credit on other people's images however not on the videos. I also get to do sometihng with the headlines, something about managing feeds, however I am useless with technical stuff and it looks complicated so I am staying away from that!
This isn't really a question about fanpop, well it is kind of, I was just wondering if anybody had ever written a soapbox on keywords? Whenever I see an image with no credit I can refer them to DrD's soapbox but I haven't found one on keywords. I did search but I might have missed something.
i looked too but i couldnt find anything..maybe its time for another soapbox,sualey!?
Haha, I was about to ask you to write it =D
YOUre the writer- I AM the foreigner! but i will help you with ideas...you just have to phrase it well. you can be my ghostwriter :D
Sure, I'm the writer which means I don't need any practice! I write all the time. You however, need the practice. I'll give you ideas =D
there is a forum on keywords here, perhaps one of us could just fatten out the points from here
link
hmmm one of us!? :D
good forum that..pity one cant save it..ive saved all of the how-tos i like to my favorites.
RE the medals - you get to add more than 10 images at a time with a yellow medal, but I think that's it. There aren't any perks with a green one as far as I know, just the satisfaction of getting it.
Ok, here's a question:
What makes the 'featured' links and videos on the main page featured? I can't seem to figure that out. I think that the Fanpop 4 choose the featured soapbox, but what makes videos or links that way? It seems to be a combination of ratings and how recently they've been posted but I'd love it if someone actually knew. Thanks!
I don't believe that the staff has the time to manually select any of the content on the top page. Instead, I believe all three (links, videos and articles) are determined by their "hotness": how many people have viewed them recently, combined in some way with the ratings they've received.
Here's another question that maybe someone can answer: if enough of the content that you added to a spot gets deleted from that spot (for whatever reason: broken, moved to another spot, et cetera), do you lose the medals in that spot that you got for that content?

That question makes me nervous, even though I think that the medal should go away if the content goes away. Sometimes I'm not so good about fixing my broken video links as quickly as I should...
I don't think so, harold. I remember reading something dave (I think) said about this. I believe that even if the links are taken off, your medal won't go down a level or be lost. I think that the only way you can get rid of a medal is by unsubscribing to that spot. However, I don't think that the ratings on that content will be counted towards any higher medal, either.

I'll see if I can find where that was mentioned, but I don't have much faith I can find it.
I just think that you can't see the spot in the "highest medals" page on your profile, but you will still have the medal.
when uploading images i cant use exclamation marks or question marks neither in the title nor the description..other people can.at least in the descriptions..any ideas!?
Hrm. It's been a while since I uploaded any images with non-letter characters. I'll try it later, but in the meantime, have you tried editing the description after submitting it? That may be a workaround.
hơn một năm qua claire-aka-bob said…
i dont know whats wrong or if its just my computer but it wont lat me upload more than one image?
i know how to do it because i have done it on other computers before but mine wont? ♥
It's sometimes like that with me too,claire, but only if I'm doing something else on my computer meanwhile uploading to fanpop.
it won't let me load up any images and you guys know which special one i need to upload *sob*
with images sometimes it'll just time out, also check the file size isn't any bigger than 5mb and also that it is an accepted file type such as jpg, gif or png :) otherwise i have no idea, lol
Lol I sometimes upload 22mb (pictures from my camera are so big)

Debs, have you tried the other form or another web browser?
no the size is fine i just cant add multiple iamgae at the same time?
its not to do with my browser as i have used explorer, firefox and oprea
but non have worked? ♥
hmm...cleared your cache and cookies?? it's what i do when something doesn't work, lol, otherwise i'm not sure
ah well, i have never been one for adding tones of images anyway!
i will just leave it, i cant be botherd with all this hastle ♥
well it finally let me do it as a photo and yes the images was all fine (i was trying to put it is as a fan art before)
thanks harold..it does actually work in editing because its a regular comment field then (rather than the description one).
does it maybe have something to with my keyboard!?
it being german and all!?
because i have the ß and äöü keys-and the question mark and the ß share one key...and when i try to write a question mark i can only write a ß.its like the shift key doesnt function in the description field.
i also tried various combinations e.g. alt+ ? etc but still :(
Here yesterday, I couldn't upload 490 images at one time but I could if i split it in half. Fanpop wrote that the image type was wrong but it was just because there was so many.
490, of what?
of Beijing. I uploaded 605 of Cambodia today and about 1000 pictures of other countries to the Asia spot.

I may seem crazy but I like uploading travel pictures. It's almost as if I've been there.
Question Time.
Once a spot becomes a full spot and not a pending spot, can the maker of the spot not edit the sub heading or keywords? I have tryed to add one new keyword to one of my spots but it doesnt work. I also wanted to change the subheading on some of my spots, once I thought up something funny but I think I might have been too late.
Edit: Typo.
last edited hơn một năm qua
Harold, answering while on vacation. Yes, that's correct. But I don't think that the decision point is whether it is a pending spot vs. no-longer-pending spot, but rather how many fans have joined. I've noticed that I can no longer edit spots I've created after others join the spot. Once again, this means that it is a request to put to an admin or staff member.
hơn một năm qua hooch-is-crazy said…
How many megabytes would various things on fanpop, answering a few picks making comments, spending a while on chat) take up? I need to know because my phone has the internet but charges £3 per megabyte and I don't want to lose all my credit.