Human Rights What Are Human Rights?

Cinders posted on Sep 10, 2007 at 03:51AM
“Ours is the age of rights. Human rights is the idea of our time.”-- Louis Henkin

The question of what human rights actually are is a very good one to start with. Generally, the words ring with a sense of truth in people’s hearts when they hear it, but it's good to actually sit back and think of what they actually entail. Because while you might think you grasp the concept in the first place, when you try and define it, you understand it better, particularly what constitutes as an “inalienable right.”

A while back, I participated in a debate under the topic of “Resolved: That an international organization should be established in order to control equitable access to fresh water.” Of course, an important part of that debate was defining the terms, particularly the word “equitable.” When I first heard it, I felt I understood it, but when I had to define my terms, things became much less clear-cut. Is it “equal” based on population? Assuming such, can we trust that the governments will get the water to the people? Where do we get this fresh water? And that word “control” seems too totalitarian. Any word or phrase can seem simple until you pick it apart and try to define it.

I think that the phrase “Human Rights” encompasses a number of things. I'm going to mention a few things about what “Human Rights” means to me, and then you guys add to the list.

The right to...
individuality
self-govern
basic needs
be respected
shared freedom
choose

The right to individuality can relate many of the rights we commonly think of when we think of basic human rights (free speech, religious practice, etc), but human rights are more than just that. I think the basic rights to food and water, and other means of survival, go beyond just the right to self-govern. Although on the other hand, the right to basic needs could be encompassed in the right to be respected, as in if you deny a person these things, you are disrespecting them. The right to "shared freedom" basically means that a person is free to do as they will, so long as they don't infringe upon the rights of others. The point being that it’s all very ambiguous terminology that’s difficult to pin down.

So. What does “Human Rights” mean to you?

Human Rights 3 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
hơn một năm qua paperclip said…
I'm trying to find a right that is inalienable, can't seem to resolve that yet.

Anyway, I believe that Human Rights are instrumental and what is fundamental is our positive freedom. Rights are given to promote and safeguard liberty and actuate human possibility.

I am to a certain extent a believer in the view of Amartya Sen esp. when further elaborated by Martha Nussbaum... Sorry I can't discuss it right now 'cause I'm kind of in a hurry but I think you should check it out, I found it credible.
hơn một năm qua harold said…
I'm glad that this thread exists, though I'm a little dismayed at the opacity of the dialogue so far...I'd searched for a definition of human rights for the purposes of answering some of the picks in this spot. There are causes about which I have very strong feelings (some negative and some positive), but are they human rights?

The term makes me think something like "A human right is something to which you believe every human being is naturally entitled, separate from breed, culture, society, wealth, language, geography and any other factors that separate or distinguish human beings one from another." On the face of it, I think that's a pretty fair stab at it, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty coming up with examples...

Edit: I wish to add "from birth" after "entitled" in my definition, above.
last edited hơn một năm qua
hơn một năm qua jandGod said…
sunny

( :

hello Cinders . . . . .

happy new year 2 , 0 2 2 . . . . .

a human right could / may and quite possibly / probaby shall / will be . . . . .

1 to have free will to be able to have a belief in God

2 to have free will to choose what drugs are in a body that God could have given some - one

3 to have free will to choose to not have any - thing injected in a body that a body may not be in agree - ment to being injected with

should there / thair be a court of law . . . . .

peter pan won

hook lost

hope you have a happy peter pan - uary . . . . .

( :