The reason why I am publishing this bài viết is because the formatting would not work when Silverrose tried to post it. So I have been asked to đăng lên this bài viết for him.
An Article Made By Silverrose1991.
Snow White is mostly regarded as a surface-deep character, but to me she is one of the most layered princesses. With that in mind, I felt compelled to write my analysis on her.
I'll divide this analysis in three topics, hoặc three Snow Whites: the Spirited Young Lady, the Team Mother
and the Damsel
. These layers blend into each other, so at times it was hard to decide where to classify a trait, which is good, after all we're talking about one character here, not three. You'll also find many conflicting traits, which is extremely realistic, imo. The Spirited Young Lady
The Spirited Young Lady.
Spirited young lady Snow White is ready for everything. She's extremely optimistic, confident and resilient. When things go wrong, she straightens up and sings a song before taking action on her own hands. Optimistic and hopeful
- "Make a wish into the well, that's all bạn have to do, and if bạn hear it echoing, your wish will soon come true."
Snow White is certain her life will change and that her future will be bright. Cheerful and resilient
- When we first see Snow White, she is scrubbing the courtyard's steps in good spirit, humming contently despite the hard task. Later, in the woods, though she is frightened and alone at first, she quickly cheers up: "There's no use in grumbling when raindrops come tumbling". Confident
- "Remember you're the one who can fill the world with sunshine." Even after her impacting encounter with the huntsman, she is sure she'll get along somehow. Friendly
- Snow White enjoys company. She is happy once she sees she isn't alone in the woods, but surrounded bởi animals. She also warms up quickly to the seven dwarfs, starting a conversation with them. Practical and intelligent/observant
- Snow White figures she needs a place to stay and sleep at night and asks her newfound animal Những người bạn if they know a place nearby: after all, they must know the woods very well. And indeed they do. She deduces bởi taking in the clues surrounding her that the cottage is inhabited bởi seven children, which is a wrong guess, but not a far-fetched one. Then, she wastes no time in tidying up the place and cooking a meal, in hopes that the owners will allow her to stay in exchange for her services (she observed that they lacked these skills). Also, her dream of the prince finding her (I'm referring to "Some ngày My Prince Will Come", of course, seeing as previously she showed no desire of falling in tình yêu with a prince specifically) is not as foolish as some think, since once he found her, he would take her to his kingdom, thus removing her from the Queen's jurisdiction. Stubborn and rebellious
- Snow White wants to get things done her way: she won't allow the dwarfs to eat until they have washed their hands, even if it's their house. She doesn't stop and try listening to what the birds are saying about the old peddler woman and she quickly goes back on her word about not letting strangers in. Playful and imaginative
- Snow White uses the "spoonful of sugar" approach when it comes to working. "And as bạn sweep the room, imagine that the cây chổi, chổi is someone that bạn tình yêu and soon you'll find you're dancing to the tune. When hearts are high, the time will fly, so whistle while bạn work!"
She also likes guessing the dwarfs' names and teasing Grumpy. Her imagination may turn against her, though, as in the sequence where she runs desperately through the woods. Outdoorsy
- Snow White clearly enjoys being outside, in the company of nature, picking hoa and feeling the breeze blow in her hair. The Team Mother
The Team Mother.
Team Mother Snow White takes care of everyone. She is nurturing and caring, but quite strict and can chew your ear off sometimes. Warm and caring
- Snow White puts a halt to her task of picking wildflowers once she sees that a little bird is in trouble. She comforts and takes care of it until she spots its parents. Her motherly nature kick in once again when she considers the possibility that the seven little children (whom she believes own the cottage she is led to bởi her animal friends) are orphans. She cleans their trang chủ and cook their dinner. Even when she learns that the owners are grown men, she is still willing to take care of them. Domestic and tidy
- She is very talented at housekeeping, as đã đưa ý kiến before. She knows how to wash, sew, knit, cook, etc, and genuinely enjoys doing so. Bossy and strict
- Snow White overviews the chores she assigns to each animal attentively, gently scolding them when she finds a mistake. She also reproaches the dwarfs for their poor hygiene and demands they wash. Polite and proper
- In the deleted sequence link
, she tries teaching the dwarfs how to eat súp like gentlemen do, though she eventually gives up once she sees it is hopeless, humored bởi their bàn manners. Manipulative
- Snow White mocks disappointment as she inspects the dwarfs' hands, knowing they will feel ashamed and do as she says. And in the cut scene link
, she cunningly mentions possible dangers that lurk in the woods at night, inspiring the men's compassion and obtaining permission to stay at least for a while. Skeptical
- Despite being an imaginative dreamer, Snow White brushes off the dwarfs' talk of the Queen's black magic hoặc at least ignores the extent of it. She is also skeptical when they claim they have already washed and insists for further information ("But when?") and proof ("Let me see your hands!"). The Damsel
Damsel Snow White is a dreamer waiting for her prince to come. Innocent and fragile, she displays many characteristics that conflict with the Spirited Young Lady. Innocent and naïve
- Innocence is one of Snow White's best-known characteristics, as well as its downside, naïveté. She has a bright-eyed view of the world and believes the Queen will never find her in the dwarfs' house. Though at first she's suspicious of the old peddler woman, she throws all her doubts and common sense in the air once she sees the birds attacking her, and ends up accepting an táo, apple that, unknown to her, is poisoned. I don't blame her for believing the táo, apple granted wishes, though, because the wishing well worked for her (magic exists in her universe), but I don't object about criticism for taking a bite (there are exceptions, though). Gentle and helpful
- "Rags cannot hide her gentle grace". Snow White is soft and mild in the way she treats others, such as the baby bird who is Mất tích hoặc the dwarfs who surround her with các câu hỏi about her prince. She is always willing to help those in need, such as untidy children hoặc an old woman who is having a tim, trái tim attack and needs water to drink. Hopelessly romantic
- Snow White dreams of "the one [she loves]"
and of "the nice things he'll say"
. Once she meets the Prince, her goal changes slightly: she now has her tim, trái tim set in a specific person, one she wants to marry ("...and wedding bells will ring"
") and live happily ever after with. She has steadfast faith they'll meet again someday. When the old woman tells her the táo, apple she offers is of a wish-granting kind, her beloved is the first thing that comes to mind. Insecure
- "I'm hoping and I'm dreaming of the nice things he'll say"
. Snow White wants to be complimented and appreciated, and at first is startled when the Prince joins in her hát at the well and hides. She seeks approval and tình yêu from others. One quirk she has that enforces this is fluffing her hair when she is about to present herself to new people, which she does before coming out to the balcony and before knocking on the cottage's door. She prays at night for Grumpy to like her and is delighted when she sees that he truly cares. Vulnerable and dependent
- Snow White is not physically strong hoặc skilled and has few resources. Thus, she often depends on outside help. Luckily, her innocent and gentle spirit brings the best in others, except in her stepmother, who has no good in her tim, trái tim at all. Still, her fragility may lead to circumstances where she finds herself in distress, such as when fleeing through the woods. Wrapping up:
Snow White displays different levels of maturity, which makes sense taking into account her life story. She's fourteen years-old, her mother is dead, her father is either deceased hoặc neglects her and her stepmother is cruel and cold. The Queen, mad with envy over Snow White's charm and beauty, deprives her of her birth rights as a princess and demotes her to the rank of a scullery maid (the lowest rank a female servant could usually occupy in a household). She dressed the little girl in rags and quite possibly systemically abused her (that is, "Failure to recognise, provide hoặc attempt to provide adequate hoặc appropriate services, including services that are appropriate to that person’s age, gender, culture, needs hoặc preferences").
Thus, in a way, Snow White was robbed of her childhood and forced to grow up and fend for herself prematurely (Spirited young lady). However, her life inside lâu đài walls was still a sheltered one, and as a result for being neglected and mistreated, she craves for tình yêu and protection (Damsel). Her ordeal also made her compassionate and empathetic (Team Mother).
I think her layers, double-meaning actions and conflicting characteristics make Snow White a thêm complex character than usually được trao credit for (though I probably wouldn't call any of the Disney Princesses complex).
So that's it. I have already milked my reserves (well, mostly...
). I hope I was able to word and organize this bài viết as I wanted and explain my points across clearly. Feel free to disagree, refute and object in the comments.
Thank you so much for reading!