I read a real life article in a magazine once about a 16 year old high school cheerleader named Hillary.
She was head cheerleader for her schools basketball team: "The tigers" and was very passionate about her high school career.
One friday after a game, the tigers won the match. all the cheerleaders and basketball-ers decided to celebrate at a pub/bar.
However, that night one of the tigers- Nathan* (Not real name) caught her alone in the back room, and- with a few of his friends to hold her down- raped Hillary and molested her.
Dumbstruck, the next Monday Hillary reported it and took it to court.
Nathan was proven guilty and charged with 100 hours community service and a suspension from school.
After his suspension, Nathan* was welcomed back to school and back to the basketball team.
Hillary stayed in the cheer-leading team and cheered until Nathan scored, in which she just sat down and look at her trainers.
Due to this, the cheer leading coach kicked her off the team, saying: "You cheer for him, or you don't cheer at all!"
Hillary claims the cheerleading squad was very important to her and that her high school has been ruined.
Do you think this was justified?
Things to take into consideration:
FOR: Yes, she deserved to be kicked off the team:
1. When you join a cheer leading team you are specifically required to cheer the whole way through. If she agreed to this, why change her mind now?
2. Joining the squad was voluntary and no one was forcing her to join.
3. Nathans sentence had already been served. So, can't Hillary just forget about it now?
Against: She shouldn't of been kicked off the team!
1. 100 hours of community service is being put off lightly for what Nathan did to Hillary. He shouldn't of been let onto the basketball team again, yet alone at school.
2. Hillary shouldn't of had to choose between her dignity and her high school career. they are both important.
3. It is natural to feel a resentment to someone--- Especially one who molested you! Hillary had the right not to support someone like that.
What Do YOU think? Was this justified or not? Please comment to tell me what you think and why. Please take in mind this is real life.