thảo luận Do bạn think the world would be a better place if there was no such thing as religion?

HugsnKisses posted on Nov 15, 2007 at 11:49AM
First of all I would like to dedicate this topic to Lila856, for this is her title from one of the picks in this spot. It is such a interesting topic that i think its worth a forum.

My opinion about this topic:

Eventhough I believe it is not the religion who is the creator of all the problems, hate and wars regarding this issue (which has been going on before the pyramids were build and that is a long long time ago) but by some people behind them. Those people just make their own interpretations. Sadly some unfortunate people are attracted by that. Those minority/narrow minded people (I would like to call them) are the creators of the problems,hate,wars, victims and misunderstanding towards the majority who aren't that bad at all! They are getting all the attention in the news. Why do bad people gets all the attention? What will happen if we ignored them? Will they stop when they see that there are no reactions to there actions? It's like when you get bullied, if you ignore them after a while they will stop, right? I know this specific issue more complicated than that - but what if?

Some religions are so wealthy, I really dont understand why? Jesus was a carpenter, drank out of a wooden cup and he wore sandals, he wasn't a rich men. Why is the Vatican City so wealthy? The Pope even wears PRADA and some of them travel first class. With all that money they could help a lot of poor people, cause I think that is what they are suppose to do. I dont want to generalize, but it is striking that the most powerful leaders in Catholicism are living a glamorous life. Centuries ago they even guaranteed people a place in heaven when they donated a lot of money and every bad thing they've done in their life will be forgiven, how silly is that? Again, I dont want to insult anyone, just wanted to give some examples of how some people abuses the true meaning of a religion an hides behind it. Whats up with that?

Perhaps the Bible, Koran etc. have to be re-written with some 'modern' point of views. Maybe that would be a great contribution for world peace? (so start writing everybody - just a joke) I know some of you probably disagree or even hate me for saying this, but it's an very very old book and people back then believed the earth was flat.

Alltough I agree that people always will find other reasons to fight and hurt each other. Such a pitty, why are we such a weird creatures! Why do we make our lives so complicated? Why cant we just RESPECT each other, the unknown, the differents, cultures and the not so 'normal' from 'your'/'our' perspectives. Why are some of us so judgemental? Thats a lot of 'why'.

Though there are religions or a way of life that is very peaceful and not telling you how to live your life and what to do or not, but how to become one with yourself, live in harmony and have inner-peace. That's what I think we humans need, we should look into the mirror more often instead looking at others.

last edited on Nov 16, 2007 at 10:47PM

thảo luận 16 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
hơn một năm qua DrDevience said…
The vast majority of killing has been done in the name of one religion or another. You can't pull off that much death without majority consent. Hell, this war in Iraq right now is supposedly Bush's Holy War... he made the ballsy statement that God was on the side of the USA... and people bought that crap.

Organized religion has one purpose only: Control.
hơn một năm qua kateliness2 said…
I disagree. Religion is the only sane thing in some peoples' lives. Faith is what holds people together. And religion only determines your beliefs on creation/afterlife/holy figures, nothing else. It doesn't "force" anything upon you. Also, the War in Iraq has nothing to do with Christianity.
hơn một năm qua MajorDork74 said…
I believe it is the acts of the people behind any religion that makes or breaks the religion.
And I wish people would lay off of Bush and the Iraq War! Nobody's perfect. Just about every president has made a mistake or two. Bush made some, and even Clinton!
hơn một năm qua HugsnKisses said…
You can't call it a mistake anymore. Not after so many deaths and destruction. That is so lame!
last edited hơn một năm qua
I think killing a ton of people is a bit more serious than a freakin blow job.
hơn một năm qua TweenaCat said…
A lot of institutionalised religion is hypocritical, for the exact reasons that you have already listed. I'm against the Churches (any religion that spells church with a capital letter, also any other radical religions or religions where radical things have been done in their name). But I don't think believing in God is a bad thing, just so long as you keep it to yourself and don't hold yourself up as a God-expert or go and do crazy or nonsensical things in the name of religion. That goes against everything the Bible teaches anyway.
hơn một năm qua DarkSarcasm said…
DrDevience makes a great point about wars fought for God. Think about all these wars in which someone claimed it was "in the name of God" or "God is on our side!" Hell, think about the *Christian* Crusaders and how many innocent people they killed, and that was in the name of who?

Religion would be alright if certain groups of people didn't try to force their beliefs on others. Let people believe what *they* choose to believe, not what *you* want them to believe.
hơn một năm qua HugsnKisses said…
I think politicians, extremists, radicalist etc should not use religion as an excuse for their actions. It just gives the whole meaning behind it a bad name.
hơn một năm qua kateliness2 said…
I don't think that it's *Relgion's* fault when people do wars its name. Its not religion thats committing the crime, and usually, it is undoubtedly not what a good Christian/etc. would do.
hơn một năm qua XpsychotickissX said…
i agree with DrDevience

& the world would be a much better place without religon, religon causes so much conflict
hơn một năm qua Leonic said…
A world without religion is one that i believe is Impossible for us to live in peacefully.

Group humans together, and they will start thinking about the spiritual

Don't kill. Why? It's wrong to take a life. What does that mean, to be wrong?

Religion is our humanity. Religion is not just Christianity, or the other Big ones that exist today. It is also the Mythologies that contain stories of thousands of years of human civilization, and all the lessons and morals they learned in life, and wished to pass down to a future generation.
We don't need to be religious to be a good person(or a bad one), but If there were *never* any religion, no one would understand what it means to be 'Good'.
last edited hơn một năm qua
Ahh there we disagree, my friend.

I understand the difference between what is right and what is wrong perfectly fine, and I am a hard core Atheist.
hơn một năm qua Leonic said…
I wasn't trying to suggest that you had to believe in god to know right and wrong:) My point is because of a person's belief in god(or gods), they created mythologies and religions to pass on life lessons, morals and information.These stories are beneficial to the world today. Had they never existed, the world would surely not be a better place.
Parables & Folk tales are important. With that I agree

;>
hơn một năm qua sallywag said…
yes, things would be alot easier and people would be more united.
hơn một năm qua alinazeer said…
I dont think religion is the reason for all the wars. People are fighting for power and money for ages they are just using the different names for their own sake. Name any religion who asked to go for war and to kill innocent people. Like Cinders mentioned in another forum that Gandhi said we love Christ but not his followers so thats him who brought the good message but the evil are those people who used his name and forced the people to become Christian by war not him.
Even now those terrorists using the name of Islam that has nothing to do with Islam. Muhammad brought the message of peace and love just like the other prophets.