thảo luận Louis (Angels in America) Asks Why Democracy Works In America

Cinders posted on Mar 05, 2008 at 04:24AM
Cinders said:
Another Excerpt:

LOUIS: Why has democracy succeeded in America? Of course by succeeded I mean comparatively, not literally, not in the present, but what makes for the prospect of some sort of radical democracy spreading outward and growing up? Why does the power that was once so carefully preserved at the top of the pyramid by the original framers of the Constitution seem drawn inexorably downward and outward in spite of the best effort of the Right to stop this? I mean it's the really hard thing about being Left in this country, the American Left can't help but trip over all these petrified little fetishes: freedom, that's the worst; you know Jeane Kirkpatrick for God's sake will go on and on about freedom and so what does that mean, the word freedom, when she talks about it, or human rights; you have Bush [Sr] talking about human rights, and so what are these people talking about, they might as well be talking about the mating habits of Venusians, these people don't begin to know what, ontologically, freedom is or human rights, like they see these bourgeois property-based Rights-of-Man-type rights but that's not enfranchisement, not democracy, not what's implicit, what's potential within the idea, not the idea with blood in it. That's just liberalism, the worst kind of liberalism, really, bourgeois tolerance, and what I think is that what AIDS shows us in the limits of tolerance, that it's not enough to be tolerated, because when this shit hits the fan you find out how much tolerance is worth. Nothing. And underneath all the tolerance is intense, passionate hatred.
last edited on Mar 06, 2008 at 06:01PM

thảo luận 2 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
hơn một năm qua DrDevience said…
*nods vigorously*
hơn một năm qua Cinders said…
By the way, this is supposed to be confusing. Believe me, I have listened to it every night for a week now, and it'll be two weeks by next Monday, and still most of what I hear the actor say is "Blah blah blah"