Thiên chúa giáo Câu Hỏi For The Athests (Pardon My Spelling)

SongBirdTeam posted on Dec 29, 2009 at 01:26AM
Q for all you athests who come and check out this fan club, Why are you athest?
i'm not going to force you convert or anything, i just want to know, maybe i can clear up some stuff for you. (questions from you are welcome :) )
Thanks
-SongBird**

Thiên chúa giáo 26 các câu trả lời

Click here to write a response...
hơn một năm qua Cinders said…
That's a good question.

First of all, I'm an Agnostic, not an Atheist. We're often ignored, or dismissed, or grouped with the Atheists. I, personally, would rather be grouped with the religious than the Atheists, as the whole point of Atheism is that they solidly believe there is no God. Agnostics, on the other hand, are often more spiritual and more open than Atheists.

A lot of people don't know what an Agnostic is. In its simplest terms, Agnostics concede that they know one thing for certain-- that they don't know anything for certain. In the Latin, "a gnosis" literally translates into "without knowledge." We concede that it is possible God exists, but we maintain that it is impossible to ever know.

The belief of any one Agnostic is as variable as the belief of any one Christian. I, personally, believe that there is a force out there greater than man, but that no singular religion has it quite right. I've never been a fan of boxing myself in with the creeds and holy texts of a single religion, as I admire several religions, and they have several things in common. A disorganized brain such as mine does not fit well inside an organized religion. I love figuring things out, learning about things, discussing and philosophizing and constantly changing my mind. I believe there is value in all religions. I follow the teachings of Christ, but not his religion. I also quote Krishna and Buddha, but I am neither Hindu nor Buddhist. I am a patchwork quilt of spirituality. But I don't think any one, on it's own, is the only way. I also believe that we will never understand everything about our universe and I accept it. But it doesn't stop me from wondering.

So, I'm content to admit ignorance, and continue to wonder at the mysteries of the universe. And that's why I think the way I do.

But as my spirituality is highly personal, I inevitably end up summarizing my beliefs as Agnostic.

EDIT: Grammar
last edited hơn một năm qua
hơn một năm qua DragonsArt said…
(I noticed that your relidgion is confused with mine, I wish I could help on that one...)

13 reasons why you could never convert me (I am an atheist)

1-I am a decendant of the ancient visigoths (also confused with the cosigoths and now in modern day are mixed and just called goths)
2-Christianity doesn't make sence
3-Cloning genes
the other 10 are in the video
hơn một năm qua LostKid said…
Thank you DragonsArt, this is so true, Christianity is a male religion, not female, not gay, just male
hơn một năm qua SongBirdTeam said…
i must correct you lostkid, it WAS a male religion. back in bible times women were not conciderd equal, this is true, but now they are, Christanity is a female religion as well as a male one.
The Christian religion also says that museums aren't real and that my ancestors never existed
where does it say museums aren't real? and if they are your ancesters the do exist, because you do, and i'm glad you are by the way.
hahaha...nice... anyway, what I mean by museums don't exist is because it never says people where created after any year, it says humans where created on the 6th day that the planet was born. Is that true? Answer....
yes, it's true there is no spacific date to creation, but they didn't have calanders back then did they?
and is that little, "hahaha...nice..." sarcasum?
hahaha part was that I found it kinda funny on your statement and the ...nice... part was me saying how you seem to always be acting, I sort of wish I was a happy droid like you, sorta...
i can asure you my dear poptart i'm not a happy droid, and i'm not acting, i'm a horrable actor, and I'm not lieing when i say i'm glad you exist, if i wasn't glad you existed i wouldn't be talking to you right now.
coriann commented…
perhaps DragonsArt could be a bit thêm kind and not give atheism a bad name, i believe it's the the contents of your character that define bạn and not your belief systems hơn một năm qua
This museum thing is confusing me, here. Are you saying that because museums tell the story of Natural History, that somehow contradicts the entire Christian faith?

Why does everything in the Bible have to be literal? Not every Christian interprets it in the same way. Each "day" could stand for a billion years, in "God time", couldn't it? I've always been more interested in the metaphorical possibilities of the Bible... After all, if God was all knowing and all powerful, and we're insignificant and ignorant... Explaining a concept so complex as the history of time and space would kind of be like a human trying to explain nuclear physics to an earth worm.

So how does God explain it to us in a way that we mere mortals can understand?

Metaphors. :o) In fact, a metaphorical interpretation can account for the vast majority of scientific theories, including evolution, the big bang, and historical climate change.
big smile
Thankyou Cinders! so many people don't seem to understand that concept.
hơn một năm qua icy_Chill said…
Well, as much as I'm Christian, I'm confused. If the bible wasn't ment to be literal, then doesn't that mean that the bible itself isn't literal? But if that's true, then doesn't that mean the existence of those spoken in the bible aren't real? And why doesn't it say, "created dinosaurs on the 1st day" or something like that. But it doesn't. But wasn't the new testament of the bible made BEFORE dinosaurs where discovered? Argh, this is so confusing!
coriann commented…
icy-Chill, now you're in my situation! yes, i was a Christian, when i realized the bible was not likely to be litteral, i was traumatized (i was probably thêm into it than you) i figured if i can't take it litterally why should i take it metaphorically? basically im in the same position as bạn except thêm far gone, find yourself, and be happy :) hơn một năm qua
TARDIS-Granger commented…
I think God is so old time passes differently. The earth isn't only a few thousand years old. To God it is. And besides the the bible is about humanity really not all of Gods creatures. I bet bạn there could be a whole other book on the entire creation of the animals. hơn một năm qua
Some of the things spoken in the bible are literal and others metophoric, a lot of Books are writen that way, and Dionosors were created on the 5th day with all the other animals.
coriann commented…
yes, i do agree with bạn there are things an amateur reader can see that are real such as the names of certain places, however, the very fact that we don't know what is and wat's not, i think means that we should embrace the beauty of religion, without letting it eat us up and control out decisions, hoặc ability to tình yêu hơn một năm qua
I'd imagine that SongBirdTeam's estimation is rather accurate.

Dinosaurs would be considered animals. Also, Genesis does allude to "sea monsters" which came before man, just as the rest of the animals did.

But yours is a great question, icy_Chill! Which parts of the Bible should be taken metaphorically, and which parts should be taken literally? That's the great debate, isn't it? I don't want to say that everything in the Bible should be taken metaphorically. And I think it's safe to say that the major characters - Moses, David, Mary, Jesus - are probably supposed to be taken literally.

I'm assuming you've read at least one novel in your life. The story is there, but within it are digressions; symbols, motifs, metaphors - that add to the themes and purpose of the plot. You don't take everything in the novel metaphorically - that would be a bit absurd. But you should recognize that some things are meant that way.
Just a question Cinders, were you christian before you became agnostic? and if you were, why did you become agnostic, and if you weren't... why did you become agnostic?
Theoretically, I was a Christian. My parents loosely affiliate themselves with Christianity to this day. I was raised celebrating Easter and Christmas, but more commercially than spiritually.

When I was seven, I heard my friend went to her Catholic church every Sunday. I insisted my parents bring me to her church and, wanting to foster a sense of spiritual fulfillment, they agreed. But as a seven-year-old, I found the church services boring and quickly decided I didn't want to go anymore.

My parents aren't religious, and so they didn't raise religious children. I mean, they were supportive of us in the rare occasion that we wanted to be religious, but we never really belonged to any religion. In fact, just two years ago, my mother had a burst of guilt and decided to go to a Christmas Eve service at a Methodist church.

My brother (who's 26 now, 24 then) asked, "Why are we going to a Methodist church?" My mother replied, "Because we're Methodists." My brother said, "I thought we were Protestant."*

I think that shows how informed my parents kept us on the faith we were supposed to be raised in. My brother isn't interested much in religion or spiritual affairs, but I am. Growing up with no particular religious tendencies allowed me to explore all sorts of religions and faiths and I found each of them interesting.

I know a lot about Christianity because I decided to educate myself on the topic. But no, I guess I've never officially been Christian. Though I said I was Christian growing up, I thought it was because I celebrated Christmas.

*Just a note, for those who don't know - Methodists are a type of Protestants.
wow your child hood was confusing. though mine wasn't that sain either.
Aaaaaand bumping this up due to recent trends in this spot.
hơn một năm qua Ninja-Kitten said…
Ooooh thank you Cinders!

*guiltily copies my last answer*

It's 7 AM and I have to get to school!

s partly a gut feeling and partly the product of turning things around in my head for years. From what I've learned (Big Bang to evolution to adaptation) everything in the creation of the world makes sense except for an omnipotent, fully formed being who started everything. Our universe must have had an uncaused cause at some point, but I think the Big Bang WAS the uncaused case, not God himself.
hơn một năm qua vick2075 said…
The Big Bang is the beginning of the Cosmos or physical existence. It is a naked singularity that inflated to enormous proportions due to cosmic inflation. Basically in other words the Big Bang marks the beginning of physical existence...but what caused it is another matter altogether....i would suggest you don't mix the two issues......By generalizing over many aspects of existence you are making the fallacy of false assumption. Evolution as we commonly use it is nearly and exclusively used for biological processes. The Big Bang is not evolution! It is cosmology. The inception of planck energy and subsequent spatial and time continuum. THe one does not follow the other. The cause of the Big Bang is unknown according to contemporary science. To debate the existence of God solely on mere discussion and common sense borders on philosophy and as such philosophically speaking the existence of God is both provable and unprovable. Testable and untestable. In other words, there is no way to disprove the existence of God neither is there any way to prove the existence of God. The only definitive answer for the existence of God is by indirect scientific proof or as the case may be by supernatural intervention. But mere human discussion on the subject is at best futile!!
hơn một năm qua darkmoon47 said…
Let me tell u something...............if your God is as great and loving as u say he is then why are so many people staving to death, being gunned down,being raped,sold into slavery. Can you tell me that? Where is your God in there lives? Why would he let people suffer when he has the power to save them?
hơn một năm qua Poseidon3 said…
I'll tell you why. In the Book of Genesis, God created the heavens and the earth and also He created Adam and Eve, who chose to eat the fruit form the tree of knowledge after they were tempted by the serpent and we kicked out of the Garden of Eden for consequences of doubting God. Much of this story is symbolic and the idea is that man were created by and once in a good relationship with God, but the devil tempted them into disobeying God and giving their descendants a rocky relationship with God. It is also a result of this that suffering and evil entered the world. He gave us all free will which includes the people who are gunning down, raping, and selling others into slavery. But when these poor people pass away from the horrors that they are enduring, I think they will be accepted by God with open arms and their oppressors damned.
hơn một năm qua Bladewarrior said…
non of u gonna be disproving atheists any time soon cuz none of u actually know enough science to prove God exists like i do n there might be some on here who also have evidence also u wanna hear how to disprove atheists just send me a damn message
coriann commented…
i think, that the câu hỏi was why are we atheists, he/she was not trying to fight us, we shouldn't try to fight them, we're different from them and they're different from us, the wars and the death and the killing, that wasn't religion's fault hoặc god's fault, that was us and our fear of people being different, our inability to live with someone who doesn't think exactly like we do hơn một năm qua
hơn một năm qua Tech-Guard said…
If you believe in a big flying space pope then I think you are oh so smart!!!
coriann commented…
omg hơn một năm qua
hơn một năm qua coriann said…
er...this is a good question actually, I've visited this group as a Christian several times, i, haven't been an atheist that long! after my faith went away, i just kept on with my practices as usual, coming here was one of them, well, i know it's hard for some of you to believe, but just open up your minds and accept the fact that i was a Christian in every bit of way you are, i had a personal relationship with God, i needed him to be happy and get through every day life, i've always been a goody two shoes so there was no reason for me to "quit believing in order to sin" see, you can't just quit believing in something, i can stop listening to my dad, i can ignore him, but at the end of the day i still believe in him, well...i fell into a deep depression and i was alone a lot, and i started pondering some deep questions about life, my only friend, God and the universe, it was then in hit me that, there "might" not be a god, the transition was painfully slow and tormenting, i never wanted to stop believing, i continued my religious practices my prayer, helping people etc, then something else hit me, well...doing all these things, they wouldn't change the fact that he isn't real to me anymore and, being an atheist to every other religion while i was a christian, i saw no reason why any other god would be more real than my own was to me so i simply assumed they were unlikely too, i do believe there could be a creator, i really do, it's religion i highly doubt, and if religion is false, then no one knows what the creator wants, we only try to figure it out by using our morals, our passions our art....our...intuition and our imaginations, our music, and i think that, that is beautiful, it really is, it's the ignorance and fighting the wars, the killing, the discrimination, hurt, torture, persecution an bullying of people who are different from you, and people who choose to believe something else than christianity or if you're a muslim islam, or whatever faith you believe in, people who choose to wear something different from you, who have slightly different morals from you, this hate, it just makes me feel so helpless, i don't just however, i've still got that Jesus' love inside of me, me posts are getting less and less on this site though, lol, i must admit my...zeal for Christianity has greatly faded, i read the word now and then...i do, i really do, i've even tried looking at the Koran, paganism...just for knowledge sake really, i was that kid who sat infront of religious television for hours! XD i thought i was going to become a preacher, but being an educated person and a lover of new knowledge is even more exciting! i urge you all to be the best Christians you can be, and i will be the best person i can be, maybe one day i will stop coming here all together, but faith isn't just something you can rip out! it's something you move slowly away from like a rowboat sailing away from shore, you look back and marvel at how far you once were :)